Saturday, December 18, 2004

I love Austin

Last New Year's Eve while riding the bus downtown I looked around at the diversity of my fellow passengers and thought to myself, as I have so many other times, "I love Austin." Almost simultaneously, the guy in the seat behind me said the exact same words aloud.

I've told that story many times when talking to another person about how much we love Austin. One woman said to me that this is the only city she knows of where a common topic of conversation is how much people love the place.

Yesterday was one of those perfect days that reinforce those lovin' feelings. I took a half day off and spent it with one of my oldest and dearest friends (going easy on the "oldest" part). We started the afternoon with lunch on the patio at the Great Outdoors and then took a walk around the nursery. There wasn't one cloud in the sky and the temperature was in the upper 60s.

We then went to South Congress Avenue and walked down a few blocks, going into the shops that caught our attention. Uncommon Objects, one of my favorites, is the one we spent the most time in.

After a quick side trip to the Herb Bar, it was on to the 29th annual Armadillo Christmas Bazaar where we looked at artwork with the old Austin hipsters. So many geriatric stoners congregated in one place!! Then, over to the East side to check out the Blue Genie Art Bazaar, where we hung out with young Austin hipsters. Before we went in, my friend said, "This one's going to be wierder" and it was.

We ended a wonderful afternoon at Ruta Maya, sipping chai tea and munching on banana nut bread as the sun set.

After going home for a brief rest, I rode the bus downtown and went back to the Armadillo Bazaar, where I partied with Bunny709 and friends, and boogied to the music of Jimmy LaFave until closing time.

I DO love Austin!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gritsforbreakfast said...

Hey, thanks for the plug! Don't forget to include your Austin posts on www.austinbloggers.com. The manual submission form is at http://www.austinbloggers.org/addentry.html

Best,

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home