Saturday, December 04, 2004

Saturday's activities

This afternoon I rode the bus downtown to St. David's Episcopal Church and attended a book release event. L. Michael White read from his new book, From Jesus to Christianity.

I was reminded of something that happened a couple of years ago in Crawford, Texas. I think it was the first big protest that was held there after the Bush administration started the mess in Iraq. I'd made a poster that said, "WWJD?" I thought it might cause one or two Crawford residents stop and think.

A journalism professor from The University of Mary Hardin Baylor (home of the Crusaders) had her students out there to interview some of the protesters. A young woman approached me and asked to interview me. She said she chose me because she wanted to get a Christian's perspective. I told her that, while I respected the teachings of Jesus, I did not consider myself a Christian. That word has taken on a meaning that I find distasteful and I would never label myself as such.

But considering that Christianity has, and continues to, play such a large part in world affairs, I think it's important to have factual information on the subject.

In a little while Pixels is coming over and we're going to hear my neighbor play in the Austin Philharmonic.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home