Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Back home

The marquee in Times Square said that the high temperature in New York today would be 20 degrees, so I guess it was even less than that this morning when we walked from Steve's apartment to the Port Authority so I could catch the shuttle bus to LaGuardia airport. The trip home was uneventful with a stop over in Memphis and Nelly picked me up at Austin-Bergstrom and deposited me at my door at precisely 4:20 this afternoon. The temperature was 55 when I landed here in Austin. I don't consider that cold today.

I've loved Bobby Bland's album, Two Steps from the Blues since 1966, but I've never seen him live. So it was awesome to finally get to see his show in New York last night at B.B. King's Blues Club. The place was packed out, with people crammed six to a small table....although we only had five at our table since three of them were very large black men and two of those guys filled up one whole side. At 75 Mr. Bland still has the same velvety smooth voice that he had in 1962, though not as much energy. He put on a great show, but was visibly tired by the end. I'm happy to have had the chance to see him.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home