Thursday, March 31, 2005

Hemp seed oil

Sometime ago I read a newspaper article about a place in China where there are more centenarians per capita than anywhere else. Lots of people there are still active in their 80s and 90s. There were three things these folks consumed daily that made their diet different than any other known human diet...plenty of rice wine; snake wine, which involves soaking a dead snake in a bottle of wine; and Hemp seed stew.

I later learned that Hemp seeds have the perfect balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. Most modern diets are deficient in these nutrients.

On March 1 I bought a bottle of Hemp seed oil and started taking 2 tablespoons a day. I did this because my cholestrol level was high and I'd read that Hemp seed oil could lower it.

On March 25 I visited my doctor and found that my cholesterol levels had improved drastically. But even before that trip, I realized that I hadn't been suffering pain from any of my chronic pain issues. I attribute it to the Hemp seed oil and the fact that I've been practicing yoga and going to pilates class every week. Some of the substances in the seeds are supposed to be anti-inflammatory, so I give them the credit for lowering the pain level from my arthritis and fibromyalgia.

Formerly, when I heard it said that the pharmaceutical companies don't want marijuana to become legal because it would cut into their profits, I was skeptical. But now I realize just how much they stand to lose if cholesterol and pain management drugs are taken off the market.

They're not going to get me to take cholesterol lowering drugs. As my friend Dr. Judy says, "I love my liver." So I'm glad I found such a good alternative. It's way cheaper too. The bottle cost me about $10 and has lasted a whole month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home