Thursday, July 14, 2005

Old dog learns some new tricks

I started Aikido lessons a couple of weeks ago. After 4 classes I have learned to fall down without hurting myself and to count to 8 in Japanese. Someday I hope to be as proficient in the Way of Peace as some of the others in the dojo or the guys in these videos.

Then today I finished a two-day course in the National Incident Management System, or NIMS. NIMS "integrates effective practices in emergency preparedness and response into a comprehensive national framework for incident management." If I continue to take courses and then apprentice with incident management teams during actual disasters, I could eventually be a part of a team that travels around the country to respond to all kinds of emergencies. Well, I may never actually get that far, but it would be exciting and fulfulling, and it's cool to dream about it.

Tomorrow my #2 son and I are going to Wal Mart Land. We'll spend the night will #1 and his family, then all go to help my dad celebrate his 80th birthday. I'm taking him Miles of Chocolate and his great grandson. I don't think there's anything he'd like better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home