Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Two teachers from the East

In the past 24 hours I've had the privilege of being in the presence of two renown teachers.

Last night Koichi Kashiwaya Sensei, Chief Instructor of Ki Society USA, taught a class at our dojo and then gave a black belt test. It was inspring to see a man who is about my age with so much flexibility and inner peace.

After the class there was a party with beer, pizza, and chocolate cake. Kashiwaya Sensei proved to be a very pleasant person to hang out with.

Today I left work early to hear His Holiness the Dalai Lama. He spoke at UT's Erwin Center to a crowd of thousands. The thing he said that resonated with me was that it's okay for us to be happy. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty for having this much happiness when I look around and see the suffering of so many. I can only believe that I contribute to the greater good by being happy, if only because that means I am not adding negative energy into the mix.

His Holiness' words were so simple that while I was listening to him, it seemed that he wasn't saying so much. It's only after I have had time to think on it that I appreciate his wisdom. He also has a playful side. For most of the time onstage he wore a red sun visor that matched his robe.