Monday, October 31, 2005

Masquerade a Go Go


The Masquerade a Go Go benefit party at Ruta Maya was a huge success funwise. I hope it was equally successful in raising money for the South Austin Museum of Popular Culture.

I had a good time, in spite of things being a little messed up. My friend RN had some day-glo face paint and said that she would paint my face. I was excited because she's a great artist. I had visions of looking like the girl in this picture. The paint was not good quality, however, and the way she did it made me look horrible.

I was already late so I didn't have time to fix it. I figured I'd just say that I was a Go Go Zombie. That way I'd fit right in, one of Roky's songs is "I walked with a zombie". So it was all good.

Two kid bands played, young kids like Jr. High age, and they kicked butt. They covered 60s rock numbers like "Born to be Wild" and "Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire." One of the bands played an old Freddie Steady Krc number and Freddie sat in with them on drums. Austin is the only place in the world you could ever see that kind of show. Only Austin parents would encourage their kids to play psychedelic music.

Later the Freddie Steady 5 played and several people joined them. Roky did "Starry Eyes" and "Your Gonna Miss Me". Sal Valentino, one of the Beau Brummels, played and so did Mike Claxton, who did a powerful cover of the Seeds' "Pushing Too Hard".

The music lasted until 1:30 a.m. and I stayed till the end and danced my buns off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home