Monday, November 13, 2006

Zoloft vacation

Zoloft was prescribed for me when I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 1996. The doc said that it would help the pain. And it did, but I also realized after awhile that I was not so depressed and anxious as I'd been before. I suppose I'd suffered from these problems all my life, but just didn't realize that I could find relief in a medication. I thought it feeling miserable was "normal". At any rate, the Zoloft did help with the pain and made me feel better mentally, and it continued to help me for 10 years.

Since I started taking hemp seed oil last year I've become pain free, and I don't have all the stressors that I did when I first started taking the antidepressant. I thought I didn't need Zoloft anymore and wanted to become 100% pharmaceutical free. So I talked to my doc and he told me how to wean myself.

It took several weeks and things seemed to be going okay, then September happened with a vengeance. Stress at work, at home, and in my personal life really knocked the wind out of me. I became deeply depressed and suffered from horrible anxiety.

One day when my serotonin levels totally bottomed out I said, "Screw this" and took a pill. Within 2 or 3 hours the dark cloud above my head disappeared and the urge to continuously cry dissipated.

It took nearly a month for me to get to feeling myself again, but it's finally happened. It's not a good feeling to know that I'm just a few pills away from mental illness, but I suppose I should be thankful that the meds are available.

Anyway, no more Zoloft vacations for me. I'm afraid that I'll be a slave to Pfizer for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home