Friday, January 26, 2007

The coming of the False Prophet

I enjoyed a visit from the False Prophet last week. He arrived from NYC Wednesday night and stayed until Tuesday morning. We had a great time, as usual.

Friday night we went to Antone's to hear Pinetop Perkins. The Prophet had seen him with Muddy Waters back in the 70s. Pinetop is 93 years old, but his voice is strong and he plays the hell out that piano. He played all the songs twice (two different times), but nobody seemed to mind.

Saturday night found us at Lambert's, a new club in downtown Austin. One of my fav bands, Chili Cold Blood rocked the house. I had to check the next morning to make sure my ass was still there, I thought I might have danced it off (if only it were that easy).

Sunday was the only day it didn't rain, so we took Davis for a ride in the country. We made it out to Johnson City and visited LBJ's boyhood home. It was a trip to stand in the same room that Johnson slept in when he was growing up.

More fun that night when we went to Ruta Maya for open mike with the MOC Band and D-Madness. The Prophet played bass on a few numbers. CT and her date joined us for awhile.

The days were mostly spent looking for a new home, just chilling at home, or walking Davis. Monday morning I got a phone call from my new landlord, telling me that I'd been chosen to rent the other side of their duplex. I start moving tomorrow. I have VERY mixed feelings about the move.

Because she bought some art last year, Hoops got an invitation to a private reception for Grace Slick. We went tonight , had some wine, hung out with Grace, and looked at her art. Hoops resisted the urge to buy anything this time.

I'm going to bed now....got a big day tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home