Monday, April 16, 2007

Strange juxtaposition of events

I've had an extraordinary 5 days, with different ingredients dumped into the brain soup. It's going to have to simmer a bit, but I foresee new insights on the horizon.

Thursday was my birthday. Big whoop. There was a cake at work, a friend took me to lunch, and I got several calls. I really don't want people to make a fuss (I tell myself).

That evening I went to listen to a friend read her poem at Ruta Maya at the Austin International Poetry Festival. That was pleasant enough.

When I returned home I learned that my young cousin had died from a heart attack, leaving a wife and two small daughters. That sad fact hung like a cloud over the whole week end. I attended the funeral today. It was a profoundly sobering event, though I was proud that the widow had chosen Lynard Skynrd's "Free Bird" and the Willie Nelson version of "Amazing Grace" for the service.

Friday evening Chris Hedges spoke at First UU and Ms. T and I went to hear him. Chris is the author of American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America. His background and credentials are impeccable, he's an excellent speaker, and his insights are astoundingly reasonable and believable. He gave me so much food for thought! There will be more posts on this topic.

Saturday and Sunday I joined Jay Johnson-Castro and his right-hand woman, Sarah Boone, in their walk to try to free the children imprisoned in the T. Don Hutton concentration camp. The weather and the Texas countryside was beautiful. I walked about five miles with them. They were going to stage a vigil at 4:00, but I couldn't stay. Nelly and I were on the guest list to see ZZ Top that night at the Backyard. The saga of that trip will also have to be expounded upon at some future time

In the midst of all this, I started reading Huston Smith's, Cleansing the Doors of Perception, and it is freakin' blowing my mind. That's why I'm not going to post any more tonight, I'm going to spend the last few minutes before bedtime reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger pix said...

Happy birthday, chiclet!

;D

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home