Saturday, July 21, 2007

Larry Joe

The other night I went down to Mother Egan's Pub to the Keep Austin Blue gathering.

One of the speakers was Larry Joe Doherty, Democratic candidate for U.S. Congressional District 10. Since that's my district, I wanted to hear what he had to say. I'd vote for anyone running against my present Congresscritter, Mike McCaul. He's the son-in-law of the CEO of Clear Channel, so that speaks volumes about where he is politically speaking. Which is to say that I doubt that he ever votes the way I'd want him to.

Anyway, Larry Joe has a good ole' boy persona. He's the star of the TV show, Texas Justice. I don't know what kind of politician he'll make, but he's a pretty good comedian.

Mr. Doherty did say all the right things, especially when I asked him about the Drug War. He quoted Eric Schlosser 's Reefter Madness on the number of pot smokers who are incarcerated. He said that just because some people are alcoholics, no one is arrested for having a bottle of beer. He said that the Drug War isn't working and that he would support drug policy reform measures.

Whether he turns out to be the Democratic candidate or not, hopefully Larry Joe can get a diaglogue going among the candidates in the next election. The audience at Mother Egan's seemed appreciative of his response to my question. I think once the conversation is started, there are going to be lots of people who join in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home